1:21 PM

The Mishaps of Chinese New Year

I love Chinese New Year. Who doesn't? One can get lots of red packets, eat lots of CNY goodies and snacks, catch up with long lost relatives, and gamble a bit with cousins.

Uh... On second thoughts, never mind that question. I can think of at least 3 (big) groups of people who won't like CNY - The Singles, the married couples, and the ones on diet. I can sympathize with them. CNY is also the period when one have to face the Horror Interrogation by nosy relatives.

For the Singles, it goes like this:

#1 - Got boyfriend / Girlfriend or not? (Are you in a relationship?)
  If no,
#2A - How come no girlfriend/boyfriend? (Why aren't you in a relationship?)
If Yes,
#2 - When getting married? (When are you tying the knot with your other half?)

 Likewise, married couples have to face this drill too.

#3 - How come no kids? (Why don't you want any children?)  

But thankfully, for them, married couples are drilled less extensively by Nosy relatives.This is offset by the fact that they have to give the red packets. Nosy relatives stop their drilling only when one fulfills the criteria of (a) getting married, (b) having kids. But by then, said person would have joined the club of Nosy Relatives. ... Pretty sure that this is not a good thing... 


Well, regardless of the general sentiments about CNY, I like CNY well enough, since I always manage to deflect the Horror Question(s).It's easy, really. Everytime #1 starts, just answer with 'Don't have. I'll let fate decide." It shuts the Nosy Parkers right up! The free cash + food also gets me emjoying this festival every single year.

Pity the same didn't happen this year.

On the 3rd day of Lunar CNY (i'll leave you geniuses to work out the exact date), just when my family and I were heading out to have a family lunch with all our relatives, my mother had a fall.

We all know how detrimental falls can be to old folks. I blame the accursed rainy Singaporean weather and the uneven infrastructure of my neighborhood. My mother suffered a clean fracture of her left femoral bone, close to her hip. Added to that, the doctors in the hospital discovered a hairline fracture in her right femoral bone. She will have to be wheelchair-bound for the whole of her recovery period.

By the time admission procedures for her were completed, it was 6 pm. Both my brother and I dragged our exhausted bodies back home, emotionally and mentally drained by the long wait and nervousness over her condition.

On the first day of CNY, I had an epic gastric attack that got me nearly warded into the hospital, and was only allowed a light and bland diet (during CNY! WTH!!). On the 3rd day, my mother had a fall and fractured her legs.

I seriously feel like throwing a rock up at the sky and railing at the God(s) above about the unfairness of my life but knowing my luck, I'll be surprised if it doesn't fall back down and smack me right on the head.

0 comments: