12:00 AM

Happy Birthday, Alyssa!

May you grow prettier by the day! Not that you're not pretty enough! It's been such a long time since we knew each other in Poly, right?

Speaking of which, I wonder if Alyssa remembered how we first met. Contratry to most people's, our first meetings didn't go so well. Perhaps it's safer to say, it didn't go well at all.

I remember the first time we met each other. We were in the same care group together and I was introduced to her via a friend. I was intrigued by her ear phones and had reached out instinctively to touch the wire to check out the brand. Her hands immediately snapped out to slap my hands away.

Ouch... Talk about handshakes on the first meeting.... Of course I was taken aback by it and resolved to stay away from her from then on.

Later, during a tutorial class, I saw her again and she invited me to sit with her. I, however, had a long memory and definitely remembered our 'first handshake' (scorpios have long memories). Naturally, I didn't and (with icy politeness) chose to sit with Dorene, citing the cold air con as an excuse.

That whole year, we didn't really mix with each other and there was always a bit of friction. The rumors her (supposedly) best friend told me did not help our relationship at all.

Thinking back, I still find it funny how we still managed to end up together as best friends. Maybe it's fate, or maybe it's the choices we unwittingly made that threw us together.

Both of us, along with her 'best friend' (who was always MIA), were the only ones from our caregroup to major in Vet Science.

"Oh my god!" I had groaned. "I'm stuck with her~!"

"Come on!" Dorene had comforted. "It won't be that bad. You'll make new friends and won't have to stick with her."

"Somebody, save me~~" I had thought gloomily and end up depressed the whole day.

So you see, it's really strange how we still end up as best friends in the end. Not only that, we were also lab partners, and project mates. We made a good team, acing most projects that came our way together.

We dissected lab rats and stitched up bananas. We pigged out on KFC every Monday and western food the rest of the week. We fervently studied and memorised about Dog mating behaviour together (to the utter hilarity of our other course mates). We sat through tons of boring lectures, frantically copying notes at breckneck speed. We sat at the ASci corridor studying, she with her can of iced milo and me with my bottle of green tea. Those were our daily staple then. It still is now.

Gods, how I miss those days - those times when we thought poly life was complicated enough, only to find out now that it was nothing compared to working life.

In Alyssa's words, "Working life literally made you want to crawl back to poly and never graduate again."

Yeap, I really have to thank her for helping me through poly. Now, she's 21 and I'm taking this opportunity to say happy birthday first hand on my blog, and to say thank you for all the memories we had - the good, the bad and the downright dirty.

Thanks, Alyssa, and Happy 21st birthday. All the best to my best friend~~ Take care of yourself and all the best!

0 comments: